Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Big Ten Time!


             Over the past two weeks, we’ve been trying to find our spark. I don’t know if we necessarily found it, but I’m not sure we need it. There is no doubt in my mind that we all want to be champions, and there is no doubt that we know how to do it. I believe in the girls on my team, and I hope they believe in me. We’ve worked hard and we deserve to leave champions. But who’s to say we deserve it more than anyone else? That is what we need to remember. Everyone has put in the work and everyone thinks they deserve to win. It is how you handle the pressure and what you leave on the course that determines who gets to be crowned Big Ten Champions.
            The hay is in the barn, as they say, so there is nothing we can do now running wise to help us on Sunday. We can, however, prepare mentally. If we can keep our cool and not stress about this weekend we can do great things. Our goal at the beginning of the year was to be Big Ten Champions. This is not going to be easy. Just like every competition we’ve faced this year, it’s going to be a challenge. But if we get scared and ease up when the race gets tough, then we don’t deserve to win. When the going gets tough, we have to get tougher. If we can get ourselves up in the front and stay there, we will be able to walk away with our heads held high.
            It’s my senior year. My last Big Ten Cross Country Championship. I will do everything I can to help my team walk away with the title. There is no more, ‘oh, I have next year.’ This is it. I want to leave Illinois feeling the way I did in 2009 when we won. Through my whole career here there has been no better feeling than when the ten or eleven of us were standing in a huddle waiting for the results, secretly knowing that we had won. It didn’t matter how tired we were, we jumped up and down in celebration anyway. We cheered, we cried and we screamed. To this day, nothing really compares.
            I’m confident in my girls, and I’m confident in myself. We can get the job done. Winning a championship is worth the pain. It is worth pushing that extra little bit even if you don’t want to. We only get four opportunities to win a cross-country Big Ten title. We’re going in on a mission and I’d be scared if I was you! WE ARE! 

No comments:

Post a Comment